Saturday 18 April 2015

Evaluation Continued (3)

Who would be the audience for your product?

My media film is mainly targeted towards young adults, appealing mainly to men, but to women also.

The certificate for this film would be an 18.
According to the BBFC (British Board Of Film Classification)

Strong Language
There is no limit to the number of uses of strong (e.g F***), or even very strong language (e.g C***) which can be passed at 18. The use of such language can be used in an aggressive, directed, frequent or accompanied by strong language. - In my film there was only one use of strong language, but throughout my film as the situation becomes more serious and more complex, there would be increased use of strong language, but it's unlikely I would've used very strong language in my film.

Discriminatory Terms

There may be racist, homophobic or other discriminatory language at 18, and the work could explore themes relating to discrimination. Though a work as a whole must not be in breach of any relevant legislation, it is possible for discriminatory language or themes to be the main focus of the work, and for main characters to engage in discriminatory behaviour. - This would not be relevant to my film as there were no discriminatory terms used, nor would there have been any used in the rest of the film as there would be no situation at all for which it would suit within my film.



Sex & Nudity

Sex works are works whose primary purpose is sexual arousal or stimulation. Sex works containing only material which may be simulated are generally passed 18. Those containing clear images of real sex, strong fetish material, sexually explicit animated images, or other very strong sexual images will be confined to the R18 category. Material which is unacceptable in a sex work at R18 is also unacceptable in a sex work at 18. - Just like discriminatory terms, this is not relevant to my film as there is no sex, nor nudity within my opening sequence nor would there have been throughout the remainder of the film as it would not have been suitable in regards to the theme of my film.



Strong Violence And Horror
Yes, at 18 violence can be strong and be portrayed with strong detail. There may even be dwelling on the infliction of pain or injury, or scenes of strong sadistic or sexual violence.

The strongest gory images are permitted at this category.


At 18, horror films may contain very strong horror, gore or sustained threat. - These two categories are the ones I feel that would push my film into the certificate 18 category. Although my opening sequence only contains the threat of violence, the rest of the film would contain very strong violence throughout, and it being carried out in a sadistic and malicious way, and its how the violence is sadistic that makes it an 18. This is sustained threat which falls under the horror category is also what makes this film an 18.

Drug Misuse
At 18 drug taking may be shown but the work as a whole must not promote or encourage drug misuse. - This is also irrelevant to my film as no drugs are taken during the opening sequence to my film, and although i would consider the inclusion of drugs somewhere throughout my film, the likelihood is that it would be pharmaceutical drugs, and not for recreational use, but presently there is no plan that would've definitely included them within my film. 

Comparison to other certificate 18 films

SAW VI

In terms of sadistic, malicious violence that inevitably leads to copious amounts of blood and gore, it would be similar too or on par to the SAW franchise as a whole, which are all certificate 18. I can also draw similarities from SAW VI to my media product in terms of story as it pits an average insurance broker against the jigsaw killer, to whom puts this average man through gruelling tasks to teach him a lesson.  






You're Next
I'm able to draw similarities to my film from 'You're Next' as it's based around a family in a house who are targeted by a group of masked killers that are picking them off one by one, and although the amount of people and killers are different to my film, the premise that there is a perpetrator targeting a victim for sadistic violence is still similar to my film. This film also contains a considerable amount of gore and violence, much as my whole film would.
There is a certain shot in this film that I decided to incorporate into my own film as i felt it was particularly effective, but I decided to put my own twist on it.
I decided to copy the reflection from the screenshot
of 'you're next' in which that shows the villain, where
as in my film, it also shows the reflection, hinting that
he could yet be the villain in this film as a plot twist.
Image result for you're next window reflection

Questionnaire Results

I got a representative sample of young adults, both male and female participants to complete my survey in order for me to try and find out which direction I should take my film, and how I should adapt my initial ideas in order to try and successfully market my media product to my target audience.

To view my results and analysis, click this link:

Questionnaire







No comments:

Post a Comment