Wednesday 1 April 2015

Opening Credits


Upon searching from inspiration for my opening credits, I decided I would try and use the design from Martin Scorsese's tense masterpiece; Shutter Island.

The opening credits are important for any film as they can set the tone for an entire film or the sequence that is then to follow that. An opening title must fit he film, and should be used in a thriller to help supplement the tone that is trying to be created by the director.

shutter-island-2010-movie-title-small.jpgIn my opening sequence, I decided to use what is known as a "Cold Open" where there is a brief scene prior the main feature, and this is unconventional, especially in film productions, but I decided I was going to defy convention and incorporate it within my film as I feel it is a good way to immediately engross an audience. I think to an ordinary audience member the design is simplistic and stylish, but I wanted to give the impression that it is shrouded in darkness, and that's the ultimate reason I went for a completely dark background because it symbolises a shrouding of darkness, and with that it symbolises the theme of the film of gradual discovery, hence the fading with the text getting lighter. The darkness is also to highlight the complexity of the storyline and that it's the confusion that has created the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment